Friday, February 20, 2015

Decluttering: How much luggage does one girl need?

Seriously, how much luggage does one girl need? 

Last month I collected and photographed all my luggage to illustrate that we all have more than we need. I was only planning to do this for the photo and then put it all back, but in collecting it I realized - Whoa! I really do have too much luggage! 

We know that living with less fosters gratitude. Keeping extras "just in case" quickly moves from smart to stingy, encourages a habit of greed, and fosters a lack of generosity. But it doesn't always come from a place of bad intentions. I didn't have over ten suitcases out of fear, or out of desire to have it all for myself. They just kind of bred over the last 15 years.


Regardless of how it happened, holding on to extra stuff creates a burden in our home. It also prevents others from having something they could use when we fail to give it away to a better home.

So, after I wrote the article, instead of just packing it all away again, I selected and re-stashed the four bags that my hubby and I really use, and carted the rest off to Goodwill. I felt lighter not having the stuff in my house, and felt better knowing the bags will end up in a good home.

Let's rededicate ourselves to living lighter. Take a moment to inventory just one category in your home that is over-abundant. Perhaps luggage, blankets, coats, scarves, or tupperware containers? Decide how many you really need and use, and then take the rest to your favorite charity. You'll be happier at home, and make someone else happier, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment